(Modified from the Edmonds “Sure to Rise” Cookbook)
Serves 6 | Total Time 3 hours 30 minutes (prep time 30 mins)
Used in Mix Until Combined (or using While and Do-While loops in Apex & Java)
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cubs of sugar, caster (fine ground)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C (350 F).
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Add caster sugar 1 tablespoon every minute (approx. 16 minutes) until mixture is thick and glossy.
- Mix vinegar, vanilla and cornstarch together in a small bowl, then add to the meringue. Beat on high speed for a further 5 minutes.
- Line an oven tray with parchment/baking paper. Draw a 22cm (about 9 inches) circle on the baking paper. Spread the pavlova to within 2cm (1 inch) of the edge of the circle, keeping the shape as round and even as possible. Smooth top surface. Place pavlova in preheated oven then immediately turn the temperature down to 100 deg C (210 F).
- Bake pavlova for 1 hour.
- Turn off oven. Open oven door slightly and leave pavlova in the cooling oven until it is completely cool.
- Carefully lift pavlova onto a serving plate. Decorate with whipped cream, fresh berries and mint leaves.